Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Social Bookmarking Journal (NETS-T 1, 3)

1. National Archives

In the National Archives Website, I chose to look at a museum website that featured photographs of artifacts left behind by some of the greatest people and events of the last century. The website also featured educational activities, exhibit information, and news releases.

The value of primary sources in your classroom can help history come alive for students. Primary sources can be used as a way to get students involved in the learning process. Using artifacts, documents, and photographs can enhance the curriculum and get students more interested in activities.

2. National Education Association

To become a culturally competent educator, I would focus on networking and soliciting involvement with parents, families, minority communities, and faith-based organizations to design and implement initiatives for ethnically diverse groups. I also felt drawn to the area that focuses on building a network of "helpers" and "experts" who have knowledge of ethnically diverse issues at our school. I also liked the idea of networking with other schools that are developing and implementing culturally competent systems. I think that these areas reflect my teaching style because I really like using the resources that are readily available to me. Networking is a great way to become involved and let others become involved while also gaining valuable information and resources from others.

3. Kids Click!

Kids Click is a website that provides links to websites that are categorized by subject and reading level. This websites is both free and convenient. The category that I clicked on was encyclopedias. I found a website called "factmonster" that provides encyclopedia resources for grade levels 3 through 6.

4. Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators

In Kathy Schrocks's website I explored her lesson plans library. I can see myself using these lesson plans in the future. This looks like a great resource for teachers. I explored the whole website and I liked her clipart and the puzzles too! Very fun.

5. Theory of Multiple Intelligences

I learned that there are 9 different types of intelligence. I thought that this was very interesting because this could change the way that teachers teach. This individualizes students and teachers should broaden their ways of teaching to focus their lesson plans on different types of learning.

6. Teaching Tolerance

The lesson that I chose was about teaching religious tolerance while staying within constitutional grounds. We should integrate world religions into the curriculum while maintaining neutrality, keeping it to academics, and focusing on respectful neutrality. I could incorporate this into a lesson plan by incorporating the study of the origins of religions into the curriculum.

7. Multicultural Education

The first question that I found most interesting was: What percentage of US schools had no teachers of color on staff. The answer was 40%. That is just crazy to me, but then again, I visited an elementary school in Carlsbad last week and they only had one teacher of color on staff!

The second question that I found most interesting was: “How likely are immigrant men in the US, ages 18-39, to be in jail or prison compared with their US born counterparts?“ The answer to this question was five times as likely. Five times! I can’t imagine that this is true. I feel as though this has to be a result of racial profiling.

8. Netiquette

After taking the Netiquette Quiz I found that I know more about Netiquette than I thought. My score was 100%! Teaching students Netiquette is important because as the use of technology becomes more widespread and at such a rapid pace, it is important that students understand manners while using the technologies. Students must learn appropriate and inappropriate means of technological communication. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment